Daily life

A delivery, works or moving: how do I obtain permission to occupy public space?

  • You need to:
    • Reserve a space on the public highway for a move?
    • Place a container on the public domain?
    • Place scaffolding and/or towers encroaching or overhanging the public domain?
    • Place cranes (mobile, tower or construction cranes) on the public domain?
    • Establish construction zones on the public domain?
    • Reserve parking areas for company vehicles and goods lifts?
  • In this case, an application for occupation of the public domain is required.
  • You can submit your application via an online form.

Some information on public cleanliness : Who collects the waste? What do I do if a tag appears? How can I protect my bins from foxes?

  • Who collects the waste? In Brussels, household waste is collected door-to-door. You must leave your bin bags in front of your home on the days and at the times scheduled for the different bags: white bags (residual waste), blue bags (plastic waste), yellow bags (paper and cardboard), orange bags (organic food waste) and green bags (garden waste). This collection is managed in Brussels by the regional agency Bruxelles-Propreté.
    • The calendar of collection days in Woluwe-Saint-Lambert can be consulted on the website of the Bruxelles-Propreté agency (in FR, in NL or in EN)
    • You will find all the information you need about waste sorting and collection on the website of the Bruxelles-Propreté agency in French, in Dutch and in English. The site is partially translated into German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Romanian, Turkish and Arabic.
  • Where do I deposit large objects of household waste, electro, construction waste etc.?
    • Opening hours:
      • Tuesday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 6:45 p.m.
      • Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
      • Closed on Sundays, Mondays and public holidays
  • Rigid bins (anti-fox)
    • We are fortunate to live in a very green community, but the proximity of the woods, parks and green areas also means that foxes, birds and other small animals are present. In some neighbourhoods, rubbish bags are regularly torn open by animals looking for food.
    • Bruxelles-Propreté authorises the use of a hard bin, such as a small round plastic container.
    • The municipal waste management service has purchased such bins. They are sold at cost price (€12) to the inhabitants. You can obtain them from Wolu Techni Cité – 80, chaussée de Stockel. Opening hours: Monday, Tuesday , Thursday and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Tel: 02/761 28 24. On site payment by credit/debit card only.
  • Graffiti on my façade?
    • The municipal regulations allow any resident who notices a tag or graffiti on their building to call on the public cleanliness team to clean it up free of charge (one free cleaning per year). On the other hand, a person who does not clean their façade risks a fine.
    • Please don’t hesitate to contact the Cleaning Service Department (02.761.28.24 – PP-OR@woluwe1200.be)

I have to create a worksite at my home or cut down a tree. How do I apply for planning permission?

  • What is planning permission?
    • Most construction, renovation and interior or exterior building works require prior planning permission. The plans accompanying the application for a permit must, in principle, be drawn up by an architect. Some works are nevertheless exempt from planning permission. These « small works » are commonly called « minor acts and works ». They are exhaustively defined by a decree of the Brussels Government. Some others, even if not exempt from a permit, are nonetheless exempt from the opinion of the delegated official of the Brussels Region or the intervention of an architect. Permits are issued more quickly thanks to these exemptions.
    • For more information, see the brochures produced by Urban.Brussels in French, in Dutch and in English.
    • In Woluwe-Saint-Lambert, the urban planning and environmental permits department manages these files: more information in French or in Dutch

I noticed a problem in the public space (a defective lamp post, a hole in the pavement, an illegal dumping site, etc.)? The FixmyStreet reflex!

  • What is Fix My Street ? What are its objectives?
    • Fix My Street is an internet and mobile platform available to citizens and the administration to report damage in public spaces. The platform allows you to follow the processing of your request by the service which will remedy it.
  • What damage can I report?
    • Road and pavement subsidence
    • Potholes in the road
    • Debris/abandoned items, illegal dumping
    • Faulty street lighting
    • Removed marking
    • Broken street furniture
    • Damaged plantations
    • Water harvesting: blocked or damaged gutters and sewage sluices)
    • Missing signage